Nagios kept from restarting after reboot by lockfile

Paul M. Dubuc work at paul.dubuc.org
Tue Dec 21 21:56:50 CET 2010

eric.berg at barclayscapital.com wrote:

> It's weird....when I run nagios and kill it with -9, it leaves the pid
> file  intact, but when I restart it, it zero's out the pid file and starts
 > just fine. when I just kill it with the default kill signal, it removes the
 > pid file.

This isn't weird.  That's how it should work.  kill -9 sends an uncatchable,
compulsory, kill signal (SIGKILL) to the process giving it no time to clean up
before exiting.  The default kill signal is SIGTERM, which can be caught and
handled (or ignored) by the process.  Restarting Nagios from the web
interface, doesn't terminate and restart the process (the PID doesn't change),
only re-initializes it.