Nagios kept from restarting after reboot by lockfile

eric.berg at barclayscapital.com eric.berg at barclayscapital.com
Tue Dec 21 01:58:47 CET 2010

We reboot all of our hosts on a weekly basis.  I used to price myself in keeping my boxes up as long as possible, but having spent years now supporting mission-critical financial production applications, I'm on board with the weekly reboots.  Lets you know early if some system or app change is problematic.

Reboot is being done via a standard reboot command.

I've looked around for rc scripts that might address this issue, but haven't found any.  Got any pointers?

Regarding the rc.local solution, a) I'd prefer to solve the problem, not just address the symptoms, and b) elsewhere in this thread I've described the roadblocks that we have to doing anything a system level.  Yep, that's right, boys, we survive in the app developer layer within which we do not have root on these boxes.  It's a tedious, time-consuming, frustrating, productivity-killing endeavor to do just about anything you can't do yourself.

So....got any sample RC scripts, or command line params to nagios to make it smart enough to know that the PID that is in it's PID file isn't an active process?

Thanks.

Eric