Nagios kept from restarting after reboot by lock file

eric.berg at barclayscapital.com eric.berg at barclayscapital.com
Tue Dec 21 01:54:04 CET 2010

If you had any idea how difficult it is just to do the most basic system administration tasks in the environment within which we're working, you'd be shaking your head in empathetic embarassment.  Filling out tickets and -- get this: our company has an official state for our tickets referred to as "Chasing", which is when, after entering your ticket into this multi-million dollar ticket tracking system, you then have to manually pick up the phone, email, or walk over to bug the guy who should now act on the ticket.  It's a nightmare.  I built it.

That was intended to express the irony of my search for a solution to keep my monitoring system up.  I'm shocked that nagios can't tell the difference between a pid file that refers to a running process and one that refers to one that's not running any more.  It's the first thing about Nagios that's got my head scractching...besides the complex set of dependencies that you have to negotiate to do pretty much anything.

This e-mail may contain information that is confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, do not duplicate or redistribute it by any means. Please delete it and any attachments and notify the sender that you have received it in error. Unless specifically indicated, this e-mail is not an offer to buy or sell or a solicitation to buy or sell any securities, investment products or other financial product or service, an official confirmation of any transaction, or an official statement of Barclays. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Barclays. This e-mail is subject to terms available at the following link: www.barcap.com/emaildisclaimer. By messaging wit
 h Barclays you consent to the foregoing.  Barclays Capital is the investment banking division of Barclays Bank PLC, a company registered in England (number 1026167) with its registered office at 1 Churchill Place, London, E14 5HP.  This email may relate to or be sent from other members of the Barclays Group.