$OUTPUT$

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Dec 16 21:55:14 CET 2010

On 12/16/2010 08:04 PM, stan wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 05:21:43PM +0100, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>> On 12/16/2010 04:11 PM, stan wrote:
>>> We are working on our first Nagios parent chiled system. As I understand
>>> it, on the chile I need to invoke something that looks like:
>>>
>>> /usr/share/nagios/sbin/submit_check_result $HOSTNAME$ '$SERVICEDESC$'
>>> $SERVICESTATE$ '$OUTPUT$'
>>>
>>> That script then does something like this:
>>>
>>> /usr/bin/printf "%s\t%s\t%s\t%s\n" "$1" "$2" "$return_code" "$4" |
>>> /usr/sbin/send_nsca pnoc -c /etc/send_nsca.cfg
>>>
>>> Ny current issue is that $OUTPUT$ does ot seem to be getting expanded.
>>> Insteadit is literaly showing up on the Nagios run time web screen as
>>> $OUTPUT$.
>>>

>> Check the docs for what macros are available for obsessive host and
>> service check commands.
>>
>> Or use merlin. It was designed for things like this.
>>
> Yes, that has been recomended (Merlin). Having spent 2 or 3 days getting
> nsca (close to) working, and having only one parent, one (small) child
> setup, I woner of it is worth the time to change at this point?
>
> How much work is involved in setting Merlin up?

Once the software is installed and you've configured one hostgroup to be
handled by the poller, you type:

  mon node add <fqdn-of-poller> type=poller hostgroup=<hostgroupname>

on the master, and

  mon node add <fqdn-of-master> type=master

and then restarting monitor and merlin.

There's a more in-depth README available online at
http://git.op5.org/git/?p=nagios/merlin.git;a=blob;f=HOWTO;hb=master
and plenty of documentation in the wiki as well. Just google "op5 merlin"
and you'll find it all.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.