Return code of 127 is out of bounds - only on high cpu load though

Daniel Wittenberg daniel.wittenberg.r0ko at statefarm.com
Tue Dec 14 18:39:11 CET 2010

I ran a full strace of nagios daemon and children and it looks like it
was the enable_environment_macros that was causing:

[pid 20478] execve("/bin/sh", ["sh", "-c",  . . . . . ] = -1 E2BIG
(Argument list too long) <0.000337>
[pid 20478] exit_group(127)             = ?

I turned them off and that fixes things, but potentially breaks some
other things in our setup, but for right now it's working.  Still odd
that as I change the number hosts the env changes enough to push over
the edge.  I ran same tests with only 300 hosts and it worked fine, just
looks like at about 500 or so something changes in env.

Always something fun in nagiosland :)

Dan