low-cost snmp-enabled temperature sensor?

Jon Adcock AdcockJ at leoncountyfl.gov
Thu Dec 9 19:41:28 CET 2010

Trevor,

  We are successfully using Websensors (http://www.eesensors.com/websensor.html).  These models can monitor temp, humidity and illumination, and with add-on pieces, they can monitor for the presence of water, and electrical power voltage.

  One of the nice things about these components is that they come with Nagios check plugins and instructions on how to install/setup Nagios monitoring.  They provide the monitored details over IP (not SNMP), and you can see the details at any time by using a browser to access the webpage (http://<ip address>.

Jon Adcock
Network Systems Administrator
MIS / Systems Team
Leon County
(850) 606-5500
>>> "Furnish, Trever G" <TGFurnish at herffjones.com> 12/9/2010 1:16 PM >>>
Can anyone recommend a low-cost external temperature sensor that doesn't
require the buyer to break out a soldering iron?

Preferably it would be SNMP-enabled so I can poll it from anything.
Power-over-ethernet would be great too.

The least expensive snmp-enabled sensor I've found so far is this one at
195 USD:
http://avtech.com/Products/Temperature_Monitors/TemPageR_3E.htm

I've also noted probes like this one at 15 USD:
http://www.ibuttonlink.com/t-sense.aspx

...but the systems in the site where I'd hook this up are all Windows,
so I'm not sure how I'd get from there into Nagios.

Trever Furnish, tgfurnish at herffjones.com
Herff Jones, Inc. Solutions Architect
Phone: 317.612.3519
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from Unix.