question about additional plugins and/or changing default port on supplemented plugin

Jonathan Wiggins jwiggins at salon.com
Tue Dec 7 00:10:31 CET 2010

I want to find out if I can simply change the check_command for imap, pop, and smtp to verify 587, 995, and 993 respectively

on the nagios server, in commands.cfg, I thought perhaps I could just change this:

# 'check_pop' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_pop
        command_line    $USER1$/check_pop -H $HOSTADDRESS$ $ARG1$
        }

to...

# 'check_pop' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_pop
        command_line    $USER1$/check_pop -p 995 -H  $HOSTADDRESS$ $ARG1$
        }

but I got a critical alert almost immediately.. iptables isn't running, SELinux is disabled. hosts are on the same network

I found a thread online that showed this:

command[check_pops]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_pop -p 995 -4 -w 10 -c 20  along with ...

command[check_imaps]=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_imap -p 993 -4 -w 10 -c 20

does that mean, this person rolled their own? I tried looking on Nagios Exchange for the secure plugins for IMAP, POP, and SMTP, and didn't see them.

Thanks in advance