Determining what is causing a high load reported by check_load plugin

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Mon Dec 6 20:50:51 CET 2010

Hi there --

We are running Nagios 3.1.2 server, and the client that is the subject of this
e-mail is running version 2.6 of the nrpe client.
The check_load plugin, version 1.4, is indicating the past three readings are
the following:

load average: 71.00, 71.00, 70.95 CRITICAL

The critical threshold of the plugin has been set to the 30, 25, 20 settings.

When I checked the client in question, the first thing I did was to run the top
command. The results are shown below:

CPU0 states:  0.0% user,  0.0% system,  0.0% nice, 100.0% idle
CPU1 states:  0.0% user,  0.0% system,  0.0% nice, 100.0% idle
CPU2 states:  1.0% user,  4.0% system,  0.0% nice, 93.0% idle
Mem:  2064324K av, 2032308K used,   32016K free,       0K shrd,  509924K buff
Swap: 2096472K av,   21432K used, 2075040K free                 1035592K cached

The one thing that I noticed was the amount of free memory was at thirty-two
megabytes. I wanted to know if that was
what was causing the critical status to occur, or if there is something(s) else
that I should investigate.

Thanks.

dispose of the e-mail.