high latency

Frost, Mark {PBC} mark.frost1 at pepsico.com
Fri Dec 3 20:14:29 CET 2010

Can the use of dependencies also be the cause of increased latencies?

I too struggle with them and I'm running on lightly-loaded physical hardware.
We have 2 servers doing the checks sending back to a central server.  Both
distributed nodes use ocsp/ochp, but they do nothing more than append results
to a file (i.e. it exits quickly).  Results are handled outside of Nagios.

What's odd is that distserver 1 and distserver 2 are configured the same

distserver1:
Hosts Checked       675
Services Checked:  4179
Active Service Latency:         0.000 / 3.155 / 0.382 sec
Active Service Execution Time:  0.000 / 60.038 / 0.145 sec

distserver2:
Hosts Checked:      261
Services Checked:  4289
Active Service Latency:         0.000 / 169.977 / 81.300 sec
Active Service Execution Time:  0.000 / 15.270 / 0.211 sec

yet as you can see, distserver2's latency is much higher and always has been.
I tried turning off EPN yesterday on distserver2 and it had no discernable effect.
We added 400 new service checks yesterday on distserver2 (just more of the same
checks we already do but on 26 new hosts) and the latency went from 35 to over 80.

The checks we do are very different (Windows, Linux, Unix, many are app-centric) so
it's difficult to compare exactly what runs on distserver1 and distserver2, but given
the jump that was taken yesterday, I'm wondering if the fact that the type of checks
on these new hosts are all built on dependencies make me wonder if that doesn't
have something to do with it.  These hosts (Windows) have a basic check for NRPE
and all other checks on the host are dependent on the NRPE check succeeding.

I have to move to all new Nagios servers very soon.  I'm interested in Merlin, but
given its non-production nature just yet, I'm hesitant to commit and I'm not sure if
it will help me here.

Thanks

Mark