Are service contacts 'inherited' from respectivehost?

Ortner, Gerald Gerald.Ortner at gespag.at
Mon Aug 30 12:17:34 CEST 2010

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Danilo Godec [mailto:danilo.godec at agenda.si]
Gesendet: Montag, 30. August 2010 11:03
An: Nagios Users List
Betreff: [Nagios-users] Are service contacts 'inherited' from respectivehost?

 Hi,

I'm monitoring a bunch of hosts and each of these hosts has at least two services used to monitor and graph ping RTA and packet-loss. Hosts configurations are organized in several .cfg files (by building), there is also a hostgroup definition grouping all hosts in a building.
However, hosts in a building can have different contacts...

I defined services using hostgroups - like this:

define service {
        use template
        hostgroup_name MYHOSTGROUP
}

I was hoping a service that doesn't have a contact definition would 'inherit' the contact from the host - but it seems that's not the case.

Is there a way to make that happen? Or will I need to define services one-by-one while and add contact definition to each?

  Danilo

Hi,

What Nagios version do you use?
Since Nagios 3.0 contact_groups, notification_interval, notification_period are inherited from the related host definition if you don't explicitly specify them in the service object or an inherited template.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectinheritance.html

Gerald

OOe. Gesundheits- und Spitals-AG
Techcenter, Hafenstrasse 47-51, 4020 Linz DVR 2107870, ATU 51928204, Firmenbuchgericht: Landesgericht Linz, FN 210146 p