"service has a notification interval less than its check interval" but it has not....

Assaf Flatto nagios at flatto.net
Thu Aug 26 12:40:01 CEST 2010

  On 26/08/10 10:34, J.M. wrote:
> Warning: Service 'TRAP' on host 'swfc6'  has a notification interval less than
> its check interval!  Notifications are only re-sent after checks are made, so
> the effective notification interval will be that of the check interval.
>
> happens in these cases:
>
>          normal_check_interval          30s
>          notification_interval          15s
>
>          normal_check_interval          30s
>          notification_interval          1
>
>          normal_check_interval          30s
>          notification_interval          15
>
>          normal_check_interval          30s
>          notification_interval          29
>
> but not in these cases:
>
>          normal_check_interval          30s
>          notification_interval          30s
>
>          normal_check_interval          30s
>          notification_interval          30
>
>          normal_check_interval          30s
>          notification_interval          31
>

> The complete service definition is
>
>          use                             normal
>          service_description             TRAP
>
>          is_volatile                     0
>          check_period                    24x7
>          max_check_attempts             1
>          normal_check_interval          30s
>          retry_check_interval           1
>          notification_interval          15
>          notification_period            24x7
>          notification_options           u,c,w
>

> Can anyone explain why these warnings happen? Except for the first case, I don't
> understand
the reason this happens is that nagios can not send a notification based
on an "old" data , the notification is relevant to the current status
and that is related to the latest check .
now if your check interval is smaller then the notification , that means
that nagios can do more checks and then send the alert on the latest data .

but if it is the other way around - it means that the alert sent might
be based on out-of-date date and hence there is a strong possibility of
a "false-positive" and nagios is reminding you of that possibility and
also refrains from sending messages if it does not have a more current
check .

--
Never,Ever Cut A Deal With a Dragon

Next year I will be doing the London to Paris bike ride to
raise money for the DogTrust (www.dogtrust.co.uk) .
Please Sponsor me at http://www.justgiving.com/Assaf-Flatto