Internal Server Error Occuring when trying to access Nagios on the browser

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Tue Aug 24 14:46:59 CEST 2010

On 24 August 2010 08:37, Ifeanyi Agu <ifepet2002 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am new to Nagios. I just installed it and did all the necessary
> configuration but when I open it on my browser, I can only view the
> documentation. The other links I go keep showing me internal server error.
>
> I checked the apache error logs and it was telling me that permission was
> denied when trying to access the cgi files that come with Nagios. Please
> what could be the problem?
>
> Ifeanyi Agu
> 08063728802

Welcome!  I hope you enjoy using Nagios as much as I do.

A common reason for this problem is that the correct permissions are not
applied.

When you compiled nagios, did you run "make install-webconf"?

After that you should have reloaded the Apache config.  The command for this
might vary depending on what Linux distribution you are using.  As an
example, on Ubuntu it is..

  /etc/init.d/apache2 reload

Another problem can be that the Nagios daemon is not running.  If you enter:

  ps -ef | grep nagios

does this show the daemon running?

It is also a good idea to check your nagios config before starting the
Nagios daemon.  You do this by entering:

/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg

(you might need to alter those if you installed in a different location).
If the verification fails, you will need to fix whatever the problems are in
your config before continuing.

Which version of Linux are you using, and which instructions did you follow
when installing Nagios?  Nagios can be installed in lots of different ways
so it will help to know which one you were working to.

Cheers,

Jim