single email alert to multiple contacts?

Parish, Brent bparish at cognex.com
Mon Aug 23 21:11:15 CEST 2010

Agree totally!

All alerts from Nagios go to the same post-processing script we built
and that's where they get shuffled off where they need to go, based on
user preferences.

We built a database and simple CGI interface (within Nagios pages).
Users click on the preferences link and "subscribe" to systems they are
interested in receiving alerts from.  They can then decide what email
address to send to, based on time of day, hostname, alert level, etc.

That takes virtually all the alert management off the Nagios maintainer
(me!) and allows people to modify their own contact information (e.g. at
work, send to instant messenger.  on vacation, send to phone.  At home,
send to home email. etc)

There are "fall through" rules that can optionally send to an admin
group mailbox (with appropriate verbiage in the alert message indicating
the fall through) if no one is subscribed to get the alert.

Finally, we built a quick & dirty "reporting" page that lists all
contacts for all services for all hosts, so we can glance through and
pin down gaps.