Email notification for service/host alerts issue ?

Mirza Dedic mirde at oppy.com
Thu Aug 19 16:55:28 CEST 2010

Recently I upgraded my Nagios OS from Ubuntu 8.04 to 10.04, everything works as expected except my alerts are not bringing in the "$HOSTOUTPUT$" data. Basically this is what I get in my notification alert:

** PROBLEM Service Alert: van-oooo/service_SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER is CRITICAL **

***** Nagios *****

Notification Type: PROBLEM

Service: service_SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER

Host: van-oooo

Address: 172.16.x.x

State: CRITICAL

Date/Time: Thu Aug 19 07:51:02 PDT 2010

Additional Info:

The additional info is missing, below are my notification commands, this used to work prior to upgrading.

define command{
        command_name    notify-host-by-email
        command_line    /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState: $HOSTSTATE$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $HOSTOUTPUT$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n" | /usr/bin/mail -s "** $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Host Alert: $HOSTNAME$ is $HOSTSTATE$ **" $CONTACTEMAIL$
        }

define command{
        command_name    notify-service-by-email
        command_line    /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\n\nService: $SERVICEDESC$\nHost: $HOSTALIAS$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nState: $SERVICESTATE$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n\nAdditional Info:\n\n$SERVICEOUTPUT$" | /usr/bin/mail -s "** $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Service Alert: $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$ **" $CONTACTEMAIL$
        }

Any idea why this could be happening?

Thanks.
Mirza Dedic | Senior Technical Analyst/DBA - IT | mirde at oppy.com<mailto:seach at oppy.com> | (O) 604-461-6779 (C) 778.895.8950