Host not defined

Assaf Flatto nagios at flatto.net
Tue Aug 17 17:13:23 CEST 2010

Nate Hausrath wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This should be simple, but for some reason I can't get my nagios config to validate with a new server I want to monitor.  I am monitoring plenty of hosts, but this is the first one I've used the "check_http" command for.  I am following the examples found here:
>
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/monitoring-publicservices.html
>
> I am using Nagios Core 3.2.0.
>
> The error message during validation is "Error: Host 'HGSec' specified in service 'HTTP' not defined anywhere!"
>
> And here is my simple config.
>
> define host {
>         use                     generic-host
>         host_name               HGSec
>         alias                   HGSec
>         address                 X.X.X.X
>         notification_period             24x7
>         notification_interval           30
>         notification_options            d,r
>         contact_groups                  admins
>         register                        0
> }
>
> define service {
>         use                     generic-service
>         host_name               HGSec
>         service_description     HTTP
>         check_command           check_http
> }
>
> I'm sure I am overlooking something simple and I feel like I've been banging my head against a wall.  I probably just need to walk away from this and come back...  I just want to make sure the HTTP service is running on this server.  Any help is much appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Nate

did you check the section of the nagios.cfg that lists whcih files and
directories it loads the host/services definitions from ?
and made sure the host entry is in one of those files/directories ?

Assaf

--
Never,Ever Cut A Deal With a Dragon

Next year I will be doing the London to Paris bike ride to
raise money for the DogTrust (www.dogtrust.co.uk) .
Please Sponsor me at http://www.justgiving.com/Assaf-Flatto