check_proc --metric=CPU - alternatives?

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Fri Aug 13 10:43:44 CEST 2010

On 13 August 2010 08:27, Sebastian Ries <Sebastian.Ries at dtnet.de> wrote:
> Hi
>
>> p.s. also take a look at:
>>
>> http://nagios.manubulon.com/snmp_process.html
>
> Thanks this was nearly what I was looking for ;-)
>
> It solves my calculation problem but it seams that it only counts the
> whole CPU usage for all processes.
>
> I have about 60 processes (with the same name) and need to get an alert
> if ONE (or more) of them uses mor than 90% CPU.
>
> Did I miss the right option?

According to the documentation, the -n option is used to give a regex
which selects which process(es) you are monitoring and the -u option
should work on the sum of the CPU for those selected processes only.

The example given is:

./check_snmp_process.pl -H 127.0.0.1 -C public -n http -w 3,8 -c 0,15
-m 9,25 -u 70,99

which should alert if the total cpu of all processes haveing 'http' in
the name is > 70.

To get the plugin to do exactly what you describe, you will need to
edit the perl code a bit.  Bear in mind that you can never have more
than one process using >90% cpu in the same period!