Not Detecting the services properly

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Thu Aug 12 20:28:37 CEST 2010

On 12 August 2010 13:16, R, Naveen <Naveen.R at philips.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have configure Nagios XI to monitor some websites and if these services are UP/DOWN/UNREACHABLE, then it will send a notification through mail.
>
> My problem here is, Nagios is detecting services and sending notifications to my email id saying that this link is "DOWN" even if the links are up and running correctly. Can you please help me in resolving this problem, as it is due to network setting or anything else, so that Nagios reports and sends mails only when it is actually down.
>

> I have attached the screen shots of the configuration and also the reports. Kindly guide me in resolving this problem.

The check_http plugin is quite 'dumb' in that it's not a browser, so
if the website you are trying to check has anything clever which
checks the browser type it might fail.

Also note that typically check_http doesn't get past proxy servers.
There are some options to check_http which will get you past ordinary
proxy servers - try running check_http with the --help option to see
what those options are.  Get the check_http command running ok from
the command line in Linux before you try to configure the command and
service definitions in Nagios for it.

If you're unlucky enough to have an ISA proxy server between your
Nagios server and the internet, you need to install and configure
something called ntlmaps to allow you to get through to the external
web sites (I'm not familiar with ntlmaps on Centos so I won't attempt
to tell you how to configure it).  I warn you that whenever I've used
ntlmaps it's been quite resource-hungry.

Another issue may be that there could be some firewall or other
between you and the web sites you are trying to monitor.

As a start, I would pick a web server which is in your local network
and check that (hint: Nagios itself is on a web server).  When that is
working okay, then try monitoring the external web sites and
troubleshooting why they're not reporting ok.

hth,

Jim