Nagios & SNMP

Gius, Mark mgius at createspace.com
Wed Aug 11 18:57:40 CEST 2010

I'm not aware of any good SNMP tutorials.  Your best bet is probably the Wikipedia entry for SNMP (which focuses more on the protocol and less on using snmp to actually monitor stuff) or the net-snmp project's FAQ and documentation (http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/docs/FAQ.html).

Your first step should be to determine if the tools from net-snmp are able to successfully scrape data from the target device.  Once you're able to do that using the 'snmpwalk' or 'snmpget' set of commands, you'll be in good shape to have Nagios pull information from target devices.  Trying to debug SNMP through Nagios is far harder than doing it via the commandline.

-Gius