? on monitoring the distribution servers

Herb J. nagios at herb-j.com
Mon Aug 9 21:40:11 CEST 2010

I don't use "localhost" in any host or service configs. There is no use
for "localhost", since it is such an ambiguous hostname. In a
distributed setup where there are multiple sources feeding data into a
single server, *every* host name must be unique, otherwise they clobber
each other's data (as you have noticed). I use the actual FQDN hostnames
of the collectors (even the central one) in the configs. When there is
an issue with a service on one of the collectors, it shows up in the
interface under that particular collector's hostname, so I know exactly
which one is broken.