Calculations of RRD data

Stephen H. Dawson service at shdawson.com
Mon Aug 9 18:20:23 CEST 2010

Thanks,
SHD

-----Original Message-----
From: averyjim at gmail.com [mailto:averyjim at gmail.com] On Behalf Of Jim Avery
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 12:01 E/T
To: service at shdawson.com
Cc: Nagios Users List
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Calculations of RRD data

On 9 August 2010 16:39, Stephen H. Dawson <service at shdawson.com> wrote:
> Yes, we use DRRAW as well.  However, running those cal's, and then
> graphing within Nagios or DRRAW or pnp4nagios would be nice.
>
> I guess it is an export from RRD, do the calc's, and review outside of
> Nagios/DRRAW/pnp4nagios kind of thing?

It depends what you want do do.

I do a lot of simple maths using DRRAW in the CDEF field for each data
source or by adding CDEF lines.  Don't forget you can hide datasources by
setting "-Nothing-" for the line/area type so you can just display the
results not the original data.

For some things where drraw can't quite cut it, I use rrdgraph outside of
DRRAW (typically I use rrdcgi so I can easily publish to the web).
See: http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/doc/rrdcgi.en.html

I only bother exporting to .xml and import to Excel when I want to do really
fancy scatter graphs and regression analysis.

If you're going to want the performance data in a database all the time, you
might consider changing your Nagios perfdata processing config to output the
data to MySQL or whatever instead of or as well as to PNP.

Cheers,

Jim