Passive freshness checks -> active checks

Charlie Reddington charlie.reddington at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 18:02:47 CEST 2010

Hi All,

I'm having a bit of a problem with my nagios setup. I'm trying to move
toward passive checks, with failover being a active check. For now, my
failover check command is just a one liner that returns critical with
a message.

I'm it's looking like the active check is being run, even when I see
the corresponding passive check coming in. I suspect it may be in my
configs somewhere, but I'm not sure what is wrong yet.

The big kicker of this, is it's not all of my checks. Only some of
them. They all have different freshness thresholds, but that doesn't
seem to be common. Their configs are the same, but in a different
order, and that doesn't seem like the problem either as it's affecting
some of one, and not of the other.

Any thoughts of what I may be doing wrong?

Charlie

---

Nagios Version: 3.2.0

I have a service template definition that looks like this.
define service{
         name                            passive-service
         check_freshness                 1
         active_checks_enabled           0
         passive_checks_enabled          1
         parallelize_check               1
         obsess_over_service             0
         notifications_enabled           0
         event_handler_enabled           0
         flap_detection_enabled          0
         failure_prediction_enabled      0
         process_perf_data               1
         retain_status_information       1
         retain_nonstatus_information    1
         is_volatile                     0
         check_period                    24x7
         max_check_attempts              1
         contact_groups                  admins
         notification_options            w,c,r
         notification_interval           60
         notification_period             24x7
         register                        0
         }

And then I have a services defined like so.
# Free Memory Check
define service{
         use                     passive-service
         service_description     Passive Memory Check
         check_command           check_stale
         hostgroups              passive
         freshness_threshold     3600
         }

My active checks are defined with.
# alert on stale    define command{        command_name
check_stale
         command_line            $USER1$/check_dummy 2 "Check is
stale, please run manually"
         }

On my host, I use cron jobs to run things like this. I use
nsca_wrapper to send my check results to the central nagios server.
# Check Free Memory
*/15 * * * * root /usr/local/nagios/libexec/nsca_wrapper.sh -H
server.name -S 'Passive Memory Check' -C '/usr/local/nagios/libexec/
check_memory -w 10 -c 5'  >& /dev/null