Nagios supervising nagios?

Herb J. nagios at herb-j.com
Thu Aug 5 23:08:11 CEST 2010

On 08/05/2010 04:16 PM, Linus Gasser wrote:
> Le 05.08.10 18:38, Herb J. a écrit :
>
>> That would be considered a standard distributed Nagios setup. We do that
>> in our Nagios cluster.
>>
>> We have a number of remote Nagios collectors in different locations.
>> They all forward their service check results back to a central
>> monitoring server. That server doesn't actually run any host or service
>> checks (other than to monitor the remote collectors), but that depends
>> on how you configure your Nagios installation. Each remote collector is
>> fully independent in the fact that they have the standard Nagios web
>> interface, they schedule their own service checks, and they can generate
>> notifications for failed hosts/services (we decided against that and
>> only have our central collector generating notifications). The data is
>> passed back using OCP_daemon to improve performance, which feeds data
>> back to the central collector using NSCA.
>>
> OK, I'll try that again, then. I've been looking at NagiosCenter View,
> but I don't manage to make the configuration as it should be. So up to
> NSCA, then ;)
>

>> However, due to the size of our setup, without heavy use of templating
>> and fully automated configuration file management, it would be a
>> nightmare to maintain.
>>
> Hmm, in fact, do you have to configure the central collector to let him
> know what the other collectors are doing?

All collectors are configured with the same check commands and
templates, but the remote collectors only know about their specific list
of hosts and services to monitor. The central collector knows about all
hosts, services, service check commands, etc. (Since Nagios ignores
passive data for hosts and services it doesn't recognize, it has to know
about everything being monitored.) However, the central collector is
configured to not run any active checks (except for monitoring the other
collectors) and is configured to accept passive check data. The remote
collectors are configured to run active service checks on their list of
servers (ignoring passive data since they don't receive any) and does
not generate any alerts or notifications. All of this is done by having
the central collector use slightly modified host and service templates.