check_procs on a particular python script

Robert Swerdlow rswerdlow at emergentdiscovery.com
Tue Aug 3 23:22:04 CEST 2010

I'm trying to get Nagios to monitor whether a particular background
job is running on a particular server.  I want to ensure that one and
only one instance is running.

I am using check_procs, but I can't seem to get the command name and
args right.  How should I do this?

Details:

I'm using Nagios Version 3.0.5.

The command in ps appears as:

0 R myuser 26507     1 48  75   0 - 91419 -      16:05 pts/0
00:14:48 python -u -O /home/myuser/scripts/
make_async_xmlrequest_libraries.py

In my commands.cfg file I tried:

define command{
     command_name    check_my_job
     command_line    $USER1$/check_procs -c 1:1 -C "python" -a "/home/
myuser/scripts/make_async_xmlrequest_libraries.py"
}

and

define command{
     command_name    check_my_job
     command_line    $USER1$/check_procs -c 1:1 -C "python" -a "-u -
O /home/myuser/scripts/make_async_xmlrequest_libraries.py"
}

and

define command{
     command_name    check_my_job
     command_line    $USER1$/check_procs -c 1:1 -C "python -u -O /
home/myuser/scripts/make_async_xmlrequest_libraries.py"
}

and

define command{
     command_name    check_my_job
     command_line    $USER1$/check_procs -c 1:1 -C
"make_async_xmlrequest_libraries.py"
}

but Nagios always reports that there are zero processes (I can see in
the UI that it is doing the new check each time, but it does not find
the process).

Thanks!
Bob