Host unreachable what's nagios do.

Marc Powell lists at xodus.org
Fri Apr 23 14:52:26 CEST 2010

On Apr 23, 2010, at 6:36 AM, Albert Shih wrote:

> My problem is :
>
> 	I've lot of services/hosts under nagios (~1500) and when some
> 	building is out of power (so lots of host/services going down), the
> 	nagios go wrong because of the charge on the server.

What do you mean by 'nagios go wrong?'

> The first thing I think about is the parents/children but as you say that's
> not going to change anything.

This is the monitoring solution to this kind of outage. Nagios will continue to try to check all hosts at the site but will report all devices behind the blocking device (top switch in your case it seems) in an unreachable state. You can choose to receive (or not) notifications about 'unreachable' devices separately from the 'down' switch.

> The second idea is to :
>
> 	Use dependencies and put a set (like all servers in a building) of
> 	host/servers in dependence of top of switch.

Dependencies are not a good solution to this problem as you've stated it. What benefit do you believe there is with dependencies v.s. parents?

> 	And when the power come out, I put manually the top of the switch
> 	to down.

If nagios were monitoring this switch it would just override whatever you did here unless you also disabled monitoring of the switch.

> 	What's do you think ?

I think that you should set parents for the hosts at this site such that every host -> parent relationship eventually leads to the top-level switch. If the top-level switch goes out, it will be shown as down and anything behind it will be shown as unreachable.

host -- (parents) --> top-level switch    or
host -- (parents) -> some mid-level switch -- (parents) --> top-level switch

--
Marc