check_http (bogus) setup

Gerard Petersen gerard at facturize.nl
Thu Apr 15 10:50:22 CEST 2010

Hi All,

I've been testing with the check_http service. I always was under the
assumption that the setup below would check www.example.com

define service{
     host_name                       myhost1
     service_description             http - www.example.com
     check_command                   check_http!www.example.com!/
     }

With this service definition (as often installed out of the box):

define command{
     command_name    check_http
     command_line   /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_http -H '$HOSTADDRESS$'
     }

Wrong! It would check for a webserver on myhost1. Since there's nothing
running at myhost1:80 i got a TCP error. Somewhat baffled I've been tailing
the access.log of www.example.com to see when I actually got a hit.

The funny thing is this (with no additional parms) even returns ok, would
you have a webserver listening on myhost1:80

check_command                   check_http

So, you would be wise to turn the command syntax into this:

command_line    /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_http -H '$ARG1$' -u '$ARG2$'

Then this will actually test www.example.com:

  check_command                   check_http!www.example.com!/

Is it me or is this check_http setup misleading? (ubuntu 9.10 in this case)

If you do have a webserver running at myhost1 that's the url you check. So
you might see an OK status and think you're testing www.example.com .. but
you would never touch it.

Anybody experienced this?

Regards,