Check_jmx plugin problem

Paul WILLIS PSE 55499 paul.willis at kent.pnn.police.uk
Tue Apr 13 11:03:46 CEST 2010

I've had similar problems with nrpe where the command string doesn't get
passed intact but instead some non letter characters get "processed" somewhere
within nrpe, so running it directly and through nrpe give different results.
Try putting a \ in front of every unusual character

Paul Willis

>>> Natxo Asenjo <natxo.asenjo at gmail.com> 13/04/10 08:12 >>>
On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Emmanuel Chanteloup
<manuchanteloup at gmail.com> wrote:
> The thing I do not understand is why I can run it directly with my nagios
> account :
>
> [nagios at myserver ~]$ /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_jmx -U
> service:jmx:rmi:///jndi/rmi://localhost:8999/jmxrmi -O java.lang:type=Memory
> -A HeapMemoryUsage -K used -I HeapMemoryUsage -J used -vvvv -w 800000000 -c
> 1500000000
> JMX OK
> HeapMemoryUsage.used=593227424{committed=1036189696;init=1073741824;max=1036189696;used=593227424}
>
> and it doesn't work with NRPE, knowing that NRPE is using the nagios account
> !
>
> [nagios at myserver ~]$ /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H localhost -c
> check_jmx
> NRPE: Unable to read output

could you please post your nrpe.cfg (sanitize as needed) to make sure
there is not a typo in it? (I've had that many times myself, very
frustrating).

Another option worth exploring is
http://search.cpan.org/~roland/jmx4perl-0.65/scripts/check_jmx4perl.

Another thing: I am not sure how nrpe escapes the slashes (if at all)
in the uri in that check. Try adding more on slash in front of every
other slash. Just a wild shot, I know.

--
natxo