Monitoring absense of bandwidth

Kevin Davison kdavison at innosphere.ca
Mon Apr 12 21:56:25 CEST 2010

I have a few proxy servers that seem to get upset when too much traffic gets sent through them. I've resolved my problem but I'd really like to have a faster response time if something like this happens again. I would really love to find a way to know if the bandwidth usage on my server reaches 0Kbps. The machines I'm monitoring are used heavily enough that this shouldn't ever happen. I took a look at check_snmp_int.pl but it appears to be set up specifically to monitor high bandwidth usage rather than low.

I'm not much of a scripter beyond Bash. Does anyone know of a pre-existing plugin that will provide this functionality?

Kevin Davison
Network Administrator
Innosphere SDG Ltd.
147 Wyndham St. N., Ste 306