Check_jmx plugin problem

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 15:49:55 CEST 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Emmanuel Chanteloup
<manuchanteloup at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use check_jmx but I can get through with my NRPE.
>
> - If I run directly the check_jmx in a line, it works :
>
> [nagios at myserver libexec]# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_jmx -U
> service:jmx:rmi:///jndi/rmi://localhost:8999/jmxrmi -O java.lang:type=Memory
> -A HeapMemoryUsage -K used -I HeapMemoryUsage -J used -vvvv -w 800000000 -c
> 1500000000
>
> JMX OK
> HeapMemoryUsage.used=407931824{committed=1013972992;init=1073741824;max=1013972992;used=407931824}
>
> - If I try with the NRPE, I always get the following message :
>
> [nagios at myserver libexec]# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H 127.0.0.1
> -c check_jmx
> NRPE: Unable to read output

can you just check if nrpe is running and available? If I try this
from the nagios server:
./check_nrpe -H localhost
NRPE v2.12

so no -c switch, just the host. That means that the nrpe daemon is
listening and we may poll it.

you also need to define the command check_jmx somwhere in your client
nrpe.cfg configuration file. I do not know how you installed nrpe in
the machine you want to check, so I cannot guess where the file is. In
a debian server it is in /etc/nagios/nrpe.cfg provided you installed
the nagios-nrpe-server package from the debian repositories. If you
installed from source I have no idea where it is, but it should be
obvious from the documentation.

--
groeten,
natxo