RSyslog monitoring?

Sun Apr 11 12:08:04 CEST 2010

I would like to find a way to monitor syslog entries using rsyslog 4.4 rules before they are ever written to a log file. The log parsing plugins I found on MonitoringExchange aren't useful for my purpose.

I have three main requirements:

-          I need to have "negative logic": I want to provide a list of patterns NOT to forward to Nagios - all unknown log entries should be sent to nagios.

-          It needs to be realtime, or nearly so. Ideally, I'd like to use rsyslog rules to classify log messages and forward them to Nagios as passive-check results.

-          It needs to be reasonably high performance. This syslog receives quite a few log entries per second (most of which would be discarded of course).

Has anybody else already done something like this?

Kevin Keane
Owner
The NetTech
Find the Uncommon: Expert Solutions for a Network You Never Have to Think About

Direct: 760-721-8339
Office: 866-642-7116

kkeane at 4nettech.com
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.