service dependency - dependent from

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Thu Apr 8 15:31:03 CEST 2010

>> You mean like:
>>

>> # All services that depend on NSClient++
>> define servicedependency{
>>         # Host the dependent service is running on
>>         dependent_host_name             HOSTNAME
>>         # Service that is dependent on the service_description below
>>         dependent_service_description   C:,CPU,Dell hardware,DHCP
>> scope,DHCP server,E:,F:,H:,I:,Shadow copies E:,Shadow copies
>> H:,Shadow copies I:,Memory usage,SMS Agent Host,Unplanned
>> restart,User-initiated restart
>>         # Host the master service is running on
>>         host_name                       HOSTNAME
>>         # Service that the others depend on
>>         service_description             NSClient++
>>         # Criteria to NOT notify for, if the above service is down
>>         notification_failure_criteria   w,u,c
>>         }
>>

>> ?  Because I have several hundred dependencies configured like this.
>
> No, that is the way it's documented :)
>
> I want something like: (used other names just to make clear what I mean)
> define service {
> 	service_description		nrpe
> }
>
> define service {
> 	service_description		filesystem_through_nrpe
> }
> define servicedependency {
> 	dependent_service		filesystem_through_nrpe
> 	dependent_from		nrpe
> }
>

> define service {
> 	service_description		health_through_nrpe
> }
> define servicedependency {
> 	dependent_service		health_through_nrpe
> 	dependent_from		nrpe
> }
>
> or as a "better" way to define the service one is dependent from like
> this:
> define service{
> 	service_description		health_nrpe
> 	dependent_from		nrpe
> }
>
> like the "parent" we have at hosts.

I guess I'm still not understanding what you're needing...  You
can define a service dependency for each individual service if
that's what you're after, instead of all at once.

So, if you have a service "check_linux_filesystem_nrpe" that
depends on a service "nrpe" on a host, you can add a service
dependency for that in its own file.  Then, when you add another
service named "check_linux_memory_nrpe" that also needs the "nrpe"
service, you can define another, seperate service dependency for
that in its own file.  It doesn't matter if they're defined all in
one definition or seperately, as long as your Nagios installation
is configured to pick up on the new files it will be just fine.

I hope I'm understanding you correctly?

Benny

--
Me:  'How big a monster can you take out with one of those? Would
      you win a fight with Godzilla?'