check_http issue

Assaf Flatto nagios at flatto.net
Thu Apr 8 15:14:49 CEST 2010

Shashank Kamble wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I am newbie to Nagios. I successfully installed Nagios and its
> monitoring most of our windows and Linux servers. Currently, I am
> having issues with the one of the website we support for our client. I
> defined a host and also defined an http service to monitor the website:
>

> Here is host and service definition to monitor a website.
>

> define host{
>
>          use                      windows-server
>
>          host_name           illinoistollway
>
>          alias                    illinoistollway
>
>          address                www.illinoistollway.com
> <http://www.illinoistollway.com/>
>
>          contact_groups      admins
>
>          }
>

> define service {
>
>         use                                   local-service
>
>         host_name                       IllionisHighway
>
>         service_description                         HTTP
>
>         check_command                  check_http
>
>         }
>

> But I am getting an error that host is down and service is not
> monitored as well.
>

> Could you please guide me how to resolve this issue?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Shashank

Before you added the host , did you make sure you can ping it ?
did you also try to manually as the user nagios can execute the
check_http script and get a proper response ?

By default check_host_alive and check_http expect an IP address in the "
address " Feild , not a FQDN .
and that might be what is throwing your nagios of game.

Change the "address"  to the IP address and see what response you get .

Assaf

--
Never,Ever Cut A Deal With a Dragon

I am doing a Charity Bike ride On the 27 of June for the
Capital to Coast Charity. Please help by Donating
http://www.justgiving.com/Lovefilm-capital-to-coast