nagios-3.2.0 crashed couple of times

Jai Prakash jprakash at dgit.biz
Wed Apr 7 10:22:06 CEST 2010

Hi All,

I have nagios-1.2 running for years monitoring 3000+ hosts and 10,000+
services. Recently we decided to port it to nagios-3.2.0 on to Centos5.4
and found this issue.

We have two custom developed scripts, one script (daemon) receives the
snmp-traps and writes it to the nagios.cmd pipe. Another script is a
cron job which removes/adds the hosts to hosrgroups then 'stops nagios
for 5 seconds' and 'starts nagios' again.  We faced few problems in the
older version with 'service nagios reload' so we have to come up with
this turnaround solution which we wish to continue in the newer version
of nagios also.

When nagios is stopped 'nagios.cmd' is not deleted as we keep on
receiving snmp-traps and we want to process them as soon as nagios is up
and running and not to lose them.

Though not all times few times nagios crashed reporting 'SIGSEGV'.
Couldn't figure out the exact reason as the log file and the debug
messages were reporting to be normal.

Would be very happy if someone sheds more light on this.

Thanks,

Jai