Setting up Escalations.

Giorgio Zarrelli zarrelli at linux.it
Mon Apr 5 23:11:12 CEST 2010

Hi,

the workflow is the following:

1. The service/host is checked in OK state with the check_interval
timing;

2. As the service/host goes into a NON OK state, but didn't reach the
max_check_attempts, the service enters a SOFT NON OK state and the next
check is scheduled with the retry_interval timing;

3. As the service/host in NON OK state reaches the
max_check_attempts_value, the service enters an HARD NON OK STATE and
the next service/host check is scheduled with the check_interval timing;

4. Now, if you set first_notification_delay, this can alter the timing
for the first notification to be sent (0 means notifications to be sent
immediately);

5. If you didn't set the first_notification_delay, the first
notification is immediately sent and the following will be scheduled
with the notification_interval timing (0 means only the first
notification will be sent, the other will not be sent);

6. In your escalation, at the third notification (with the
notification_interval taking place), the notification interval changes
to 45 minutes, so the first notification will be sent after the
max_check_attempts value will be reached (assuming you didn't put any
delay), then the second after 10 time units, usually 10 minutes, the
third 10 mins after the second, the fourth 45 mins after the third, the
fifth 45 mins after the fourth, the sixth 45 mins after the fifth.

7. From the sixth notification, the new escalation comes into play. The
seventh notification will be sent after 60 minutes, and all the other
notifications will be sent 60 mins after each other. Keep in mind that
having used 0 as the last_notification value, you escalation will never
end till your check will return an OK status.

I do not know if I answered to your questions, I hope to have explained
the notification/escalation timings in a correct and clear manner.

On the Nagios wiki you will find a flowchart I wrote to clarify the
logic dealing with the notification framework.

Ciao,

Giorgio