Setting up Escalations.

dOE doepain at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 04:50:31 CEST 2010

I am having a difficulty getting escalations to work on Nagios 3.0.3

The following is pulled from the documentation:

define serviceescalation{
host_name webserver
 service_description HTTP
first_notification 3
 last_notification 5
notification_interval 45
 contact_groups ITOps_Oncall,managers
}

define serviceescalation{
host_name webserver
service_description HTTP
 first_notification 6
last_notification 0
 notification_interval 60
contact_groups  ITOps_Oncall,managers,everyone
 }

I have read the documentation, but I don't understand what the
"notification_interval" are based on, and sine we have hosts inheriting from
a "core" template it is very difficult to test escalations.
We use OpCfg to do our Nagios configuration, but it does not stop me from
occasionally going into the actual configuration files to make changes
either.

If anyone has this working, and could shed some light on how I can get this
to work, or clarify the documentation explanation of it.  Also, since I am
inheriting from a template I feel as though the changes I make to a
particular host (to test) is being ignored or it maybe me not understanding
what the "notification_interval" are exactly.

Any advice is very much appreciated.