Different notifications times for same service on different hosts?

Mark Gius mgius at createspace.com
Mon Sep 28 17:21:38 CEST 2009

Glyn Astill wrote:
> --- On Mon, 28/9/09, Thomas Guyot-Sionnest <dermoth at aei.ca> wrote:
>

>> My understanding is that you can define custom variables in
>> the host
>> definitions and use them in the service definition. This is
>> very useful
>> to define per-host thresholds for example.
>>
>> I doubt the macros will be expanded for the timeperiod
>> definition
>> though. Have you tried? That would definately be an
>> interesting feature
>> if it doesn't work already (and probably not so hard to
>> implement).
>>
>> It there really is inheritance from host to service can you
>> point
>> exactly where it is mentioned in the documentation?
>>

> I removed the definition for notification_period from the service to see if the value from the host would be inherited, but it didn't happen - instead all the services just defaulted to 24x7.
>
> Is there any way I can exploit the custom variables you mention to achieve similar?
notification_period inherited from the host only applies if you have NO
notification_period defined.  Do you have some master service template
that defines a default notification_period for services (I know we do).

You could use a custom variable attached to the host and then set the
notification period with

notification_period $_HOSTCUSTOMNOTIFICATIONPERIOD$

or similar.  However, if you'd like to do this sort of thing on a wide
scale I'd reconfigure nagios to use the builtin inheritance rather than
trying to re-implement it using custom object vars

-Gius