(Return code of 255 is out of bounds)

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Sep 22 22:18:23 CEST 2009

On Sep 22, 2009, at 2:32 PM, akp geek wrote:

> Hi -
> I am getting this message (Return code of 255 is out of bounds) .
> I have some nagios plugins which are perl programs. When i try to
> run them command line they run fine. But when try to run using NRPE
> I get the output (Return code of 255 is out of bounds)  .

The plugin that NRPE is running on the remote host is exiting
(failing?) with an exit code of 255, when run as the user NRPE runs
as. Did you test as that user on the remote host? Does the plugin/
script/whateveritis rely on environment variables or $PATH that likely
do not exist when run by NRPE? Does the plugin/script/whateveritis
rely on external programs that rely on environment variables or $PATH
that might not exist or be what you expect?

Does debug mode for NRPE provide anything interesting?

Beyond that, you're going to have to provide more specific information
about the plugin, OS, etc.

--
Marc