nagios and dns

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Tue Sep 22 16:25:08 CEST 2009

2009/9/22 Kyle O'Donnell <kyleodonnell at gmail.com>:
> All,
>
> I recall reading some nagios documentation which had the reasons why
> using dns resolution was not a great idea, but I cannot remember where
> it was?
>
> Does anyone have/or can they point me to that doc?
>
> Thanks,
> Kyle

Put simply if your DNS servers break you don't want your monitoring to
break.  It is probably a good idea specifically to monitor your DNS
though!

I don't know what document you may have read this in, however I can
tell you it's specifically mentioned in "Nagios System and Network
Monitoring" by Wolfgang Barth 1st Ed. published by No Starch Press.
ISBN 3-937514-09-0 in section 2.3 on page 44.

Cheers,

Jim