Service depency on host status, ...

Jelle Smet nagios at smetj.net
Fri Sep 18 10:26:48 CEST 2009

Hi list,

I determine the host status on the host level and I'm not using a separate
service for this.
I have defined dependencies for all the nrpe checks on a service which
checks if nrpe is up and running.

Now I would like to create a dependency which prevents the "is nrpe up and
running" check from running if the host is down.
If I determine if the host is alive through a service I would know how to
implement this.
But how can I refer in my dependency rule to the host status ?

I could create a service, and use that instead of the host status check...
But I would like to avoid that, ....
Having both would double my icmp traffic so that's out of the question.

Thanks,

Jelle Smet
http://www.smetj.net