A way to alert suspicous trends?

Livio Zanol Puppim livio.zanol.puppim at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 13:26:36 CEST 2009

Have a look at RRDTOOL Aberrant Behavior detection using Holt-Winters
algorithim. Maybe it can help you doing something similar to what you want.

A simplier way for your needs, is develop a script wich receives de amount
of steps to lookback at rrdtool, read the values and compare with the real
time from host... Not quite too dificult.

2009/9/16 Jelle Smet <nagios at smetj.net>

> > Martin Melin <mmelin <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > you'll see it in the graph and can investigate accordingly
> > when time allows. If your disk usage starts to run critically low Nagios
> will
> > > let you know as always.Thoughts?RegardsMartin Melin
>
> We're building out a monitoring system for a large amount of servers with
> 90%
> having diskgraphs, it would be a dounting task to look at all of them
> manually.
> It's quite pro active if you can be warned on suspicious trends.
>
> > You should be able to monitor the derivative (rate of change) of most
> checks
> > that return performance data.
> > It should be pretty straightforward to hack a proof of concept of this.
>
> Good tip, I'm going to have a look at this, ... but having to build this
> myself
> it's going to end up on the bottom of my extensive todo list:)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jelle Smet.

> reporting any issue.

[]'s