Contact options on a hostgroup?

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Tue Sep 15 18:01:01 CEST 2009

On Sep 14, 2009, at 12:01 PM, Terry wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Israel Brewster
> <israel at frontierflying.com> wrote:
>> Is there any way to apply contact options to a hostgroup? What I'm
>> looking
>> for is a way to make different hostgroups with different contacts and
>> contact options, such as "Emergency", "high-priority", "low-
>> priority" etc.
>> At the moment I am putting these things into the host template, and
>> then for
>> any hosts that need to vary (such as a lower-priority file server
>> as opposed
>> to our high-priority database server), I override the
>> contact_groups and/or
>> notification_options directive. This works, but makes maintenance a
>> little
>> difficult as there is no easy way to look at just my high-priority
>> servers
>> or the like and see what I have where. Is there a better way of
>> handling
>> this? Thanks.
>> Israel Brewster
>> Computer Support Technician II
>> Frontier Flying Service Inc.
>> 5245 Airport Industrial Rd
>> Fairbanks, AK 99709
>> (907) 450-7250 x293
>
> I am not sure I understand 100%.  If you just want a way to logically
> see all of your high priority servers, just create another hostgroup
> called high-priority and join the respective hosts to that hostgroup.
> You can then see only hosts in that hostgroup in the CGIs and apply
> commands to them.

The point isn't so much to see all the high-priority servers grouped,
but rather to have an easy way of applying "high-priority" contacts to
the hosts that need it. The grouping that would occur with a hostgroup
would just be an added bonus. I could, of course, use host templating
for this, but the problem with that is that I already heavily use
templating to simplify my configs. Trying to add high-priority/low-
priority to the host templates would double the number of host
templates I would need, creating an annoyingly large number of host
templates. If I could apply contact groups/notification options to a
hostgroup, however, then all I would need to do is add one hostgroup,
and one config line to each host that is high-priority.