A way to alert suspicous trends?

Martin Melin mmelin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 14:09:37 CEST 2009

I haven't implemented this myself but have thought about it:

You should be able to monitor the derivative (rate of change) of most checks
that return performance data.

In your disk example, it would catch that the disk usage has started to
increase substantially faster than historical levels. You'd catch the user
trying to fill his home dir with his MP3 player's contents as well as more
sinister things.

It should be pretty straightforward to hack a proof of concept of this.

I don't see how your second example isn't served by the graphs you get with
pnp4nagios: if your disk usage is increasing slowly but surely and you're
not expecting it to, you'll see it in the graph and can investigate
accordingly when time allows. If your disk usage starts to run critically
low Nagios will let you know as always.

Thoughts?

Regards
Martin Melin