Nagios 3.2.0 configuration files

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Sep 11 14:45:28 CEST 2009

On Sep 11, 2009, at 5:56 AM, Sowmya Dass wrote:

> Will all the directives as valid in Nagios 2.0b3 hold valid even in
> Nagios 3.2.0 ? I am bothered about the directive names and the
> deprecated directives.

Yes, they should. If you're concerned about the deprecated warnings
for host and service extended info definitions, as detailed in the
What's New documentation page, which you should read, they're
supported for now, but will go away in Nagios-4.

> Also, In the official 3.x document, on page 226,

It's better to reference a section. There's no page 226 in the online
documentation.

> But contradicting to this, I see at http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html#service
>  which mentions the directive as retry_interval.

> I just happened to figure out this difference just now. I am really
> not sure which one to use and get it working.

retry_interval is replacing retry_check_interval. Both are currently
valid and serve the same purpose. retry_check_interval will go away in
a future release (I would expect nagios-4).

> I had another issue with notifications as mentioned below :
>
> One of the host at my end just went down and did not respond to ping
> and http. I saw that this was reported as below in the nagios.log
> at /usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log
> [1252662489] HOST ALERT: lon4;DOWN;SOFT;1;CRITICAL - Plugin timed
> out after 10 seconds
> [1252662569] HOST ALERT: lon4;DOWN;SOFT;2;PING CRITICAL - Packet
> loss = 100%
> [1252662639] HOST ALERT: lon4;DOWN;SOFT;3;PING CRITICAL - Packet
> loss = 100%
> [1252662709] HOST ALERT: lon4;UP;SOFT;4;PING OK - Packet loss = 0%,
> RTA = 0.22 ms
> But notifications were not sent out for either of these. Did this
> happen as these were in soft state ?

Yes, notifications are sent only when it reaches a HARD state. You
must have your max check attempts set greater than 3.

> My notifications have been enabled for both the services ping and
> http but not for the host. Does the host also have a notification
> enabled directive ?

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html#host. It
can but we don't know if you've specified it or not.

--
Marc