Nagios 3.2.0 configuration files

Sowmya Dass sowmya.dass at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 12:56:40 CEST 2009

Hello All,

I already have a setup Nagios 2.0b3 on another server. I have newly setup
Nagios 3.2.0 on RHEL 4. In the process, I have tried re-using the
configuration file. Currently, I have all my hosts,contacts and service
details mentioned in the same configuration file called minimal.cfg. And I
do have a nagios.cfg configuration file, that refers to this as :
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/minimal.cfg

Will all the directives as valid in Nagios 2.0b3 hold valid even in Nagios
3.2.0 ? I am bothered about the directive names and the deprecated
directives.

Also, In the official 3.x document, on page 226, I see that there is a
mention of a directive called retry_check_interval.
http://support.nagios.com/knowledgebase/officialdocs

But contradicting to this, I see at
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html#service which
mentions the directive as retry_interval.

I just happened to figure out this difference just now. I am really not sure
which one to use and get it working.

I had another issue with notifications as mentioned below :

One of the host at my end just went down and did not respond to ping and
http. I saw that this was reported as below in the nagios.log at
/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log
[1252662489] HOST ALERT: lon4;DOWN;SOFT;1;CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after
10 seconds
[1252662569] HOST ALERT: lon4;DOWN;SOFT;2;PING CRITICAL - Packet loss = 100%
[1252662639] HOST ALERT: lon4;DOWN;SOFT;3;PING CRITICAL - Packet loss = 100%
[1252662709] HOST ALERT: lon4;UP;SOFT;4;PING OK - Packet loss = 0%, RTA =
0.22 ms
But notifications were not sent out for either of these. Did this happen as
these were in soft state ?

My notifications have been enabled for both the services ping and http but
not for the host. Does the host also have a notification enabled directive ?

Regards
Sowmya Dass