Check_http and or Check_url with A string

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Fri Sep 11 09:05:01 CEST 2009

2009/9/11 peter peters <pater75xx at gmail.com>:
> Dear all,
>
> I want not only to see if a webserver in active but (hostname or IP and
> ping)
> I also so want to see if a Url is responding.
>
> This by checking if there is a string is on this Url. (page)

The check_http plugin can check for a given string.  Try running it at
the command line with the --help option to see what it can do.

  check_http --help

For more general information on how to configure such checks, if you
find the online documention a bit hard-going, then I highly recommend
the book "Nagios" by Wolfgang Barth which explains how Nagios works
from first principles and has sections on how to configure various
kinds of checks and addons.

hth,

Jim