CHECK_MSSQL CRITICAL allways as output when use check_sql for MSSQL checking

Arlen Drina arlytex at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 22:46:55 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 6:21 PM, Jim Avery <jim at jimavery.me.uk> wrote:
> 2009/9/9 Arlen Drina <arlytex at gmail.com>:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am using check_sql for checking MSSQL server ( or I would like to
>> check MSSQL servers ). I compiled
>> freetds with --with-tdsver=8.0 support on my debian system and all
>> went ok, in /etc/freetds.conf I have
>>
>> [global]
>>        # TDS protocol version
>> #;      tds version = 4.2
>>        tds version = 8.0
>>
>> # A typical Microsoft server
>> [MSSQL]
>>        host = sss.sss.sss.sss
>>        port = 1433
>>        tds version = 8.0
>>
>> and when I run ./check_mssql -H sss.sss.sss.sss -p 1433 -U USER -P PASSWORD
>>
>> I am constantly getting output
>>
>> CHECK_MSSQL CRITICAL
>>
>> Ok, I tried to solve this myself and I found at \
>>
>> http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Plugins/Databases/Others/check_sql/details
>> that is recommneded to change host-->server in line
>>
>> my $cs = "DBI:$driver:" . ($database ? "database=$database;" : '') .
>> "server=$hostname" . ($port ? ";port=$port" : '');
>>
>> so I changed that, but still I am getting same output for above command.
>>
>> I am just trying to get minimal response from MSSQL server, connection
>> to port 1433 is open and I can connect via
>> telnet sss.sss.sss.sss 1433  and it works.
>>
>> Any hint is welcome, I exhausted all my ideas, and thank you in advance
>

> I don't use freetds.  Instead, I installed php5-sybase (and any
> dependencies if there were any, I can't remember) from the debian
> repositories (I'm using Ubuntu).
>
> I can run the plugin from the command line like so:
>
>  /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_mssql -H 10.10.10.123 -U loginid -P mypassword
>  OK: Connect time=0.004189 seconds.
>
> Of course, the user "loginid" must be configured in MSSQL with the
> password "mypassword" to authenticate to the database.
>
> Some of our MSSQL servers have a specific instance, in which case you
> need to find the port number the instance is listening on, then use
> the following syntax to do the check:
>
>  /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_mssql -H 10.10.10.123:1375 -u
> loginid -P mypassword
>  OK: Connect time=0.045179 seconds.
>
> (1375 is the port number for this instance but it varies from one to the next)
>
> I found the check_mssql didn't like the hostname syntax when using IP
> addresses like this, so I changed it a bit by removing both the
> "Validate the hostname" and "Validate the username" sections.
>
> I also (very sloppily) altered the part where it checks if the
> expected result is emtpy like so:
>
>  287c205
>  < if ($querytype == "query" && !empty($expected_result)) {
>  ---
>  > if ($querytype == "query" && (!empty($expected_result) ||
> $expected_result == "0")) {
>
> That was because I wanted to do a check which expected a result "0".
>

> hth,
>
> Jim

After your post I installed php5-sybase and still getting same error :
CHECK_MSSQL CRITICAL

I am using command:   ./check_mssql -H sss.sss.sss.sss -U user -P pass

user and password are valid and I can connect with them to database.
MSSQL server listen on port 1433
and I can connect on port 1433 when run

telnet sss.sss.sss.sss 1433

Is there something special necessary to enable on MSSQL side, some
deamon, whatever, ...I expected
it to work with php5-sybase but it does not.

Thank you for reply and regards,

Arlen