How to make 1 exception for 1 host when mapping services to hostgroups?

Terry td3201 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 03:55:56 CEST 2009

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Jelle Smet<nagios at smetj.net> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> My setup is more complicated than this but here's the essence:
>
> - I have created a hostgroup called linux_servers
> - I have created 10 service checks with default values.
> - Each individual service check has a hostgroup_name "linux_servers"
>
> This effectively applies all 10 check against all hosts member of the
> linux_servers group.
>
> Now what to do with following situation:
>
> For one of the hosts I want to have a different threshold for only the "Root
> Disk" test.
>
> I initially though that defining the service a second time, with the
> host_name
> tag, would have precedence over the fact it's defined through
> hostgroup_name.
> But apparently this is not...
>
> So I could create a check with a new name "Root Disk custom" where I use the
> host_name tag, which works, ... But then again, I still have the original
> "Root
> Disk" test
>

> How can I tackle this in a as clean way as possible?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jelle S.
>
> Jelle Smet
> http://www.smetj.net

I have duplicate service checks and the second one takes precedence
for me.  :\   Here's an example:

define host{
        use                     amp-24x7
        host_name                       omaampdb01a
        hostgroups                      windows,ampco
        parents                 omajelfw01a
        address                 10.22.1.100
        }
define service {
        use                     service-active-perf-low
        hostgroup_name          windows
        service_description     disk drives - nrpe
        check_command           check_nrpe_win_drives!95\%!98\%
        }
define service {
        use                     service-active-perf-high
        host_name               omaampdb01a
        service_description     disk drives - nrpe
        check_command           check_nrpe_win_drives_cluster!95%!98%!L!E!R
        }

In my case, the bottom one takes precedence.  However, I do get this error:
Warning: Duplicate definition found for service 'disk drives - nrpe'
on host 'omaampdb01a' (config file
'/etc/nagios/objects/services/templates/windows.cfg', starting on line
20)

I like this because I don't have to mess with the templates to exclude hosts.