NSCA speed problem

dale at chatham.org dale at chatham.org
Tue Sep 8 20:59:54 CEST 2009

I have a Nagios setup that is monitoring ~ 1000 hosts and ~ 13,000
services.  The active checks are run on a Sun box with 128 CPUs/cores.
Since it appeared that status.cgi could only be single threaded, it meant
that the Sun box was slow in putting a page together, so all checks were
forwarded to a fast Intel machine which puts together the page in about 2
seconds instead of about 16 on the SPARC.

However, NSCA is now slowing the process, either on the sending or the
receiving end.  There are only two NSCA processes running, so I suspect
that this is the problem.

I can think of a number of alternatives.  One would be to load up
ndoutils, which looks like a fine solution, but I'm a but under the gun
here and I'd really like to find something that works quickly.

An alternative might be to use syslog to get the data from one machine to
another.

Any ideas, suggestions?