shell script in nagios

Anthony anthony-nagios at hogan.id.au
Mon Sep 7 18:54:13 CEST 2009

Nagios doesn't have inbuilt ssh support per se.. It's allll about the
plugins.

You could make a shell script on your nagios box to perform the SSH, parse
the response and then return the relevant error level and text as per the
nagios plugin guidelines.. you can use utils.sh as a base..

Making up check plugins for nagios is pretty easy.. They just have to return
an exit code of 0-3 depending on the state of the app and an appropriate
status message. You can optionally add performance data to that.

For information on building your own plugins, consult:

http://nagiosplug.sourceforge.net/developer-guidelines.html

Otherwise, make the script on the remote server and use NSCA or NRPE to
push/pull (respectively) the results from the remote machine to the nagios
box.

Otherwise have a look Nagios Exchange to see if someone's built an ssh
execution plugin with string parsing.

http://exchange.nagios.org/index.php?option=com_mtree&task=search&Itemid=74&searchword=ssh

... looks like there might be a few options already (didn't go further than
the above search page)