check_cluster2 does not work as expected

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Mon Sep 7 10:03:18 CEST 2009

2009/9/5 Werner Flamme <werner.flamme at ufz.de>:
> Hi,
>
> I want to check a cluster consisting of 2 nodes. The task is simple:
> show how many nodes are up (respective down, there are two nodes).
>
> The command definition is:
>
> $USER1$/check_cluster2 -h -l $HOSTALIAS$ -w 1 -c 2 -d $ARG1$
>
> So, the host alias of the cluster will be the label, the plugin should
> give a "warning" when 1 node is down, and should cry "critical" when
> both nodes are down.
>
> That's what I thought this command would do.
>
> And that's what I read in the mean time:
>
> CLUSTER OK: FW-Cluster: 1 up, 1 down, 0 unreachable
>
> Sorry? Why is "1 down" not seen as warning? What do I do wrong?
>
> TIA
> Werner

I'm not familiar with check_cluster2, but came across a similar
situation when using check_cluster for a host check recently.  When I
run check_cluster --help, it tells me :-

 See:
 http://nagiosplug.sourceforge.net/developer-guidelines.html#THRESHOLDFORMAT
 for THRESHOLD format and examples.

I found I had to use "-w 0 -c 1" to make the plugin behave how I
wanted (warn if one host is down and critical if two are down).

Also, if you're using this as a host check (not a service check) note
that if the host check returns a warning state, Nagios will usually
interpret this to mean that the host is 'UP'.  See
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/hostchecks.html for an
explanation of how plugin results are interpreted for host checks in
Nagios.

Cheers,

Jim