Check intervals and notifications... retry_check_interval vs retry_interval

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Sun Sep 6 23:45:13 CEST 2009

On Sep 6, 2009, at 12:04 PM, Anthony wrote:

> I have a host definition with the following values:
>
> normal_check_interval 5
> retry_check_interval 1
> notification_interval 1
>
> Now, I receive the warning:
> Warning: Service ... on host ... has a notification interval less
> than its check interval!  Notifications are only re-sent after
> checks are made, so the effective notification interval will be that
> of the check interval.

[snip]

> ... but this is noted in an example, not in the service definitions
> section of the manual. On the other hand, in xodtemplate.c as
> highlighted by someone else on this list in 2008, apparently they're
> equivalent.

They are equivalent. retry_check_interval was renamed to
retry_interval and is only valid for compatibility reasons. I expect
it's going to be phased out entirely in a future release. They're
currently treated exactly the same in the code.

>  two definitions of what retry_interval and retry_check_interval
> would seem to be different. One suggests it's the time between
> checks on a "non-OK" host. The other one suggests it's the time
> between checks on a non hard/final state. Is it one, the other or
> both?

It is used when the host/service is in a SOFT non-OK state. Once max
check attempts is reached, the host/service is put in a HARD, non-OK
state and nagios falls back to the normal interval for all further
checks.

> Either way, would this not mean that if I had a normal check
> interval of 5 minutes, and a retry check interval of 1 minute that
> in some cases, it would indeed be checked more often than 5 minutes
> and therefore be able to notify more often than the normal check
> interval?

Nope. The notification interval is how frequently, after the first
notification, additional notifications might be sent, bearing in mind
that it's tied to checks. Since the first notification is sent out
only after reaching a HARD state and nagios is only checking every
normal_check_interval from that point forward, you can't notify less
than normal_check_interval.

--
Marc